How To Become A Clinical Psychologist
how to become a clinical psychologist is usually not a frequent questions you hear from today career seekers as it is one of the careers that takes long time to complete. Becoming a clinical psychologist is indeed a long however, with determination you will get there.
Clinical Psychology is one aspect of Psychology that takes longer time to complete but persistence do pay off because clinical Psychologist can work in different settings including hospital or they can opt to start their own private offices also very rewarding.
Steps To Becoming A Clinical Psychologist
- Finish your high school education
- Enroll in a 4-Year Psychology course in University
- Inquire from your Psychology professors if they are in need of an assistant . This can be of great aid to your graduate school application in the future
- Shortly before finishing your Psychology degree, you will want to talk to you academic program advisers to in order to help you in choosing the right program for graduate school. Preparation is better for the future and the earlier the better.
- After you have finished your degree, you will want to apply for graduate school. Note: you will be writing test for your graduate school application so ask you academic advisers about the required study aids.
- After you have been accepted into graduate school, you will begin to earn Doctor of Psychology (Ph.D)
- Research an original topic to complete your dissertation
- At this stage, you will have to spend the next 2 years to complete your graduate program’s required post graduate degree.
- At this stage, you will be working with clinical Psychologists in other to gain on the job experience.
- Please ask your graduate school program rep. for more info and the study aids for the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) which is a multiple-choice examination that covers all areas of psychology.
- It is essential you take the required exam in your state. These exams are oral and written
- Talk to your program rep. the kind of exam you will be taking for your state.
- Once you have taken and passed the exam, it’s time to start applying
- Continue to find a job in Clinical Psychology in your local hospital, schools, private health care centers and so on.
How to become a clinical psychologist is not an easy endeavour but at this point, your persistence has paid off at this stage. Now it’s time to enjoy the fruit of your labour.
How to become a clinical psychologist in canada
If you are in Canada, the above points applies to you, just talk to your program representative about the required licensing procedures in your state.
How to become a clinical psychologist in ontario
If you are in Ontario, just talk to your program adviser about the licensing procedure in Ontario.
how long does it take to become a clinical psychologist
You use 4-5 years for your degree
For your Phd, you use around 5-6 years.
So you are looking at around 12 years total to complete everything.
Clinical psychologist salary
clinical Psychologists salary varies from settings to settings.
Their salaries range from $50,360 to $86,250 and can go up to 170,000 per year.